Monday, June 24, 2013

A LIZARD IS NOT A TOAD: Sheboygan? SHE BOY, GAAAAAAAAWD

That title is a suggestion for Justin Bieber's next single. You're welcome, beebz.

Anyway, shall I get to it?!

MONDAY, 5:00 AM

I awoke in a flushed sweat, swimming in a blanket that was much too warm. I felt a general awful feeling. "GOD," I thought, "I WOULD GET SICK. I JUST WOULD." I threw the blanket away and tried to sleep. I succeeded, and slept. And slept. And slept.

I slept through what would have been our morning spin. I had a clusterous sniffle-feeling in my brain, and my throat felt like a sort of desert-y scene in a cowboy movie. You know, where the tumbleweed ambles wistfully across the screen, and some whistly music plays. It felt like that. But more awful.

MONDAY, 11:00
I went with Vanessa and Diego to a Latino supermarket called "El Rey," as I thought this may improve my temperament. I got a giant burrito, but my face and brain continued to hurt.

MONDAY, later.
I slept more. I pondered whether or not it was a good idea to race. Could I not race simply because I was sniffling?! I laid on the couch and snored for two more hours.

MONDAY, 2:00
It was time to depart. I still felt pretty gross, but resolved to at least start the race. I would go in, hold a good position until the first prime, and then drop out if I felt awful. That was the plan.

MONDAY, 4:00
After a good warm-up of redbull and Ke$ha, I went promptly to the start line. It was no longer NCC racing, and so the number of riders had thinned considerably. I secured a starting position at the front (finally) and awaited our start.

IT began, quite unlike I had imagined it would. The course, a flat rectangle, offered little to keep breakaways alive. The wind blew heartily down the long start/finish stretch and the turns were wide enough to pedal through. Of course, this does not mean people were pedaling through them.

When the first prime was called, it was only for $25.00. I was somewhat unimpressed. I held my position and waited. After a few moments the announcer called a $50.00 prime. I WANTED THAT THING!!!!!! ON the back side of the course I attacked. I was still standing up when I noticed someone on my wheel. "DAMN," I thought, "the point of this was that I cannot sprint." Now I had some fool on my wheel who could easily take my coveted dollars!

I stood up and pushed a heavier gear. The person behind me did not contest it, and I crossed the line first. Then, I looked back to see that it was Sam schneider on my wheel!!! I was all, "WHAT THE WHAAAAAA". She totally could have taken that from me. But she did not. So I am unsure what her thinking was in chasing me. But that was a cool moment of my life, I guess.

I was not too tired from this, but she did not seem interested in continuing (even though we had a gap). She sat up, and so I sat up and then we were recaptured.

The announcer called a $150.00 prime and this i wanted very much. I was fifth wheel or so and awaiting a moment to strike when Scotti wilborne went to the left. This was quite unfortunate for me. I tried to respond to the right but she had surprised me at just the correct moment, and some other girl was now on my wheel. I hesitated more--was it prudent to pull this girl up to scotti? even if i did catch her, i didn't think i could come around feeling as I did. So, I pulled off in the no-man's land and waited for the group to bring her back.

The rest of the race was uneventful. I was at the front with 5 to go, and somewhere in between then and the finish I somehow allowed myself to get pushed to the back and I ended up coming in like....last. So there's that. But I was happy to win money.


Anyway, I am tired now, and merely wrote this out of love for you my faithful audience. Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment